Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sticks and Stones

Lindsay and I matinee'd it up today and saw Quantum of Solace. It was alright - everything I'd expect from a Bond film: chase scenes (involving cars, boats, planes, and good old-fashioned running), cool fights, explosions, and sex. But I was eternally grateful that through all the violence, I didn't hear the f-word once. That would have been offensive! They had to make sure it was rated PG-13, right?

As usual, I couldn't help but look at the broader message this says about our society. I mean, my conversation with you could be "Rated R" if I drop a few choice words, but if I shot you, it would still be PG-13. In fact, I could do a lot more than just shoot you. I could break your wrist, stab you in the back, then throw you off a building and the MPAA would still deem my behavior acceptable for someone 13 or over to observe.

I don't necessarily have a problem with violence in films. My problem lies with a paternalistic organization that has assumed the role of moral regulator and whose priorities are out of whack. After all, is it really harmful to watch the portrayal of realistic dialogue?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Well gosh darn ya Jake! The violence is fake.... you can't fake a swear word.

Lindsay said...

Unless you really said "vaccuum"...